Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Repair Kit for Grading-Chapters 1 & 2


In our recent class discussions regarding the book, A Repair Kit for Grading,” participants began to discuss different fixes that would help make grading a more accurate representation of  student learning.  Fix #1 was:  Don’t include student behaviors (effort, participation, adherence to class rules, etc.) in grades; include only achievement.
As a special educator, it is easy to see why this is essential.  For many students with disabilities, there are skills in both the academic and the behavioral domain that need to be learned in order for the student to be successful.  As educators, we must be able to separate these 2 areas, write measurable and objective goals for both, and then be able to track and document mastery.

When I taught regular ed., I think I often found myself feeling compelled to encourage and reward the development of skills in both academic performance and also in behavior (work completion, timeliness, effort).  Too often, I think I lumped everything together to come up with one grade, without realizing how confusing and discouraging this could be for a student.

 Today, it is easier to see that while both are important, it may be essential that the mastery of academic skills be separated from any behavior skills that are contributing to overall performance.  I think a teacher should grade on academics only, while still giving structured feedback on behaviors, which will be essential for the student as he/she sets goals for personal growth.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your comments on the Grade Fix. Like hearing the LD side of the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete